So you’ve chosen Easy Bound Book™ from BASM for your ATF recordkeeping—now what? You’ve made a great investment, but there are things you can do to get the most out of it.
- Establish and Adhere to Data Policies: Your electronic bound book software is only as good as the data it contains. Of course you have an added incentive that accurate records are required by the ATF. Make sure that you establish data polices. Select one person to be the data “champion” to ensure that the policies are maintained, updated, and adhered to by everyone.
- Build Process Maps: Establish process maps so that anyone coming on board in your company can follow the map and use the Easy Bound Book™ software from their first day on the job. Written process documents ensure that information isn’t lost when someone leaves the company. It also helps ensure that you are following ATF guidelines.
- Ensure Adequate Training: Make sure that anyone who will use the new A&D book software is trained on it. There should also be a “go-to” person who knows the software well and can answer questions or resolve any issues that arise.
- Measure and Improve Your Processes: Once you’ve used your electronic A&D software for a while, take a look at the processes that you’ve put in place. Identify areas where you were able to save time or money, or improve other aspects of your business. You should see that there are many areas where Easy Bound Book reduced your costs, saved data entry time, and improved your ATF compliance. Then check to see if there is any other process that you can improve. If you are running the ATF software stand-alone perhaps you should consider integrating it with your accounting and inventory software.
- Make compliance everyone’s job: Reinforce your compliance policies. Everyone who touches a firearm affects your compliance. Always record or tell your Responsible Party to record every change of location, type, caliber, model, acquisition, or disposition.
Of course, you can contact the staff at BASM if you have questions or concerns. We value your input!