When you are retiring an old A&D bound book for a new one, you can’t just throw it out and start from scratch. Follow these steps to meet ATF bound book regulations:
- You will only transfer firearms that you have not yet disposed.
- Enter the date the transfer occurs, as well as the book name/number, page number, and line number, on the disposition side of the A&D record in the old book.
- In the new book, record the description of the firearm and original receipt information (original date and name and address, or name and license number from whom the firearm was received).
- Be sure that each firearm is logged out of one A&D record before it is entered into another to prevent multiple entries without corresponding disposition information.
- Retain the old A&D bound book for 20 years as specified in ATF bound book regulations.